These records document the plans for the urban redevelopment of Charlotte in the 1960s and 1970s. Created in 1957, the Charlotte Redevelopment Commission was charged with projects which cleared rundown areas of Charlotte but also projects for rehabilitation of declining older neighborhoods. The areas where these projects took place were Belmont, Brooklyn, Cherry, Dilworth, Downtown, First Ward, Greenville, North Charlotte, Third Ward, and Wilmore. By far the largest of these areas were the Brooklyn and Greenville areas. The first demolition took place in 1961. The Redevelopment Commission passed primary responsibility for the urban renewal program to the City on May 1, 1973, and projects continued after that time.